qemu-devel

Re: trace_FOO_tcg bit-rotted?

From: Vilanova, Lluis
Subject: Re: trace_FOO_tcg bit-rotted?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:58:09 +0000

El dt. 13 de 04 de 2021 a les 10:25 +0100, en/na Alex Bennée va
escriure:
> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> writes:

> <snip>

> <snip>
> >
> > That said, I haven't used the TCG trace event functionality and
> > maybe
> > I'm missing something obvious that Lluís will point out :).
>
> I've updated the Cc to what I think is Lluís current email as I was
> getting bounces from the old academic address.

Hi folks, long time no write; thanks for tracking me down :)

I think it'd be great to deprecate TCG tracing in favour of the plugin
interface, pushing some of the burden out of qemu.

I haven't measured the performance of the plugin interface, but AFAIR
TCG trace prints also use TCG helpers, so there should not be a lot of
difference.

As Stefan pointed out, this means plugin writers will have to write
their own TCG tracing code. Hopefully, the plugin API can be extended
to integrate with qemu's logging backend (it seems qemu_plugin_outs
goes somewhere else), and common plugins can be kept on a separate repo
under the qemu umbrella for easier reuse (e.g., to provide the same
functionality as TCG tracing).

Cheers,
Lluis