qemu-devel

Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: Serious doubts about Gitlab CI
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:59:49 -0600

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 7:33 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
The use of submodules has imposed significant pain on QEMU developers over
the years, and as such I think our general goal should be to have zero git
submodules over the long term. Usage of submodules ought to be considered
a short term workaround only, with a clear criteria for removal. We should
continually introduce dependancies on newer & newer versions, as that means
we'll never have any opportunity to remove them and reduce the cost on
QEMU.

submodules have caused me significant pain in rebasing the bsd-user work.
The way QEMU does things, you wind up with unclean trees after a build,
which causes grief at times... I for one, would shed no tears at the number of
submodules dropping to 0.

Warner