qemu-devel

Re: KVM_MEM_READONLY slot flag not working properly

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: KVM_MEM_READONLY slot flag not working properly
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 18:04:28 +0100

On 18/03/21 17:07, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
However, when I try to register a new interrupt handler (for instance for
the edu device, just to try it out), it works perfectly,
meaning that the IDT is not really read-only. Do you have any idea why? Any
suggestions on how to solve the problem?
Of course I've also checked KVM_CAP_READONLY_MEM, no problem with that.

Sorry for asking a question that might be extremely stupid, but: did you check that the guest is writing to the IDT? For example Linux never modifies the IDT when it runs, in fact it even makes it read only (check out idt_setup_apic_and_irq_gates in arch/x86/kernel/idt.c).

Paolo