qemu-devel

Half a usb-redir idea

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Half a usb-redir idea
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:21:02 +0000

Hi,
  I've got a half-baked idea, which I thought might be worth mentioning.

How hard would it be to give qemu a usbredir server rather than client?
It would have nothing guest visible but would look logically like the
front (?) half of a usb interface; then you could use all of the
existing qemu emulated and passthrough device code, to build a usb
hierarchy and present it to a remote qemu.

You'd get the ability to do emulated USB CDROM/storage, audio, network
and the glue for host USB connection (and smart cards??) - all in one
client that you can then use for connecting to a remote qemu.

The next step of that is to make something analogous to a
qemu-storage-daemon, but for USB, so you have something that can
do all that USB stuff without actually having any processors.

The even crazier step would then be to add a VNC client, and then you
have an almost complete remote client.

Dave