qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] adding a generic QAPI event for failed device hotunplug

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [RFC] adding a generic QAPI event for failed device hotunplug
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:12:53 +0100

David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 05:50:42PM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:
>>

>> On 3/9/21 3:22 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> > Cc: Paolo and Julia in addition to Igor, because the thread is wandering
>> > towards DeviceState member pending_deleted_event.
>> >
>> > Cc: Laine for libvirt expertise.  Laine, if you're not the right person,
>> > please loop in the right person.

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > As long as unplug failure cannot be detected reliably, we need a timeout
>> > *somewhere*.  I vaguely recall libvirt has one.  Laine?
>>
>> Yeah, Libvirt has a timeout for hotunplug operations. I agree that QEMU doing
>> the timeout makes more sense since it has more information about the
>> conditions/mechanics involved.
>
> Right.  In particular, I can't really see how libvirt can fully
> implement that timeout.  AFAIK qemu has no way of listing or
> cancelling "in flight" unplug requests, so it's entirely possible that
> the unplug could still complete after libvirt's has "timed out".

QEMU doesn't really keep track of "in flight" unplug requests, and as
long as that's the case, its timeout even will have the same issue.

>> At this moment, the only case I know of hotunplug operations timing out in
>> QEMU is what we did with CPU hotunplug in pseries though. I can't tell if
>> unplug timeout is desirable mechanism for other machines/device types.

I think we first need to nail down what the even means.  It could mean
"hot unplug definitely failed" or "hot unplug did not complete in time".

Any operation that is not instantaneous goes through a state where it
neither succeeded nor failed.

When the duration of that state is unbounded, no timeout can get us out
of it.  When exiting the state requires guest cooperation, its duration
is unbounded.  "Definitely failed" semantics is unattainable.

It is attainable if we can somehow cancel the unplug, because that
forces transition to "failed".

I suspect we have at least three kinds of unplugs: effectively
instantaneous (command completes the job, e.g. USB), unbounded and not
cancelable, unbounded and cancelable.

When we onlw know "did not complete in time", the management application
needs a way to retry the unplug regardless of actual state.  If the
unplug succeeded meanwhile (sending DEVICE_DELETED), the retry should
fail.  If it failed meanwhile, start over.  If it's still in progress,
do nothing.

We can choose to leave cancelling to the management application.  Ditch
"definitely failed", report "did not complete in time".  The management
application can then either cancel or retry.  The former succeeds if it
canceled the unplug, fails if the unplug completed meanwhile, which also
sent DEVICE_DELETED).

I think before we can continue reworking the code, we need consensus on
a hot unplug state machine that works for all known cases, or at least
the cases we have in QEMU.

>> > Putting the timeout in QEMU might be better.  QEMU might be in a better
>> > position to pick a suitable timeout.

>> > "Can't re-attempt" feels like a bug.  Let me explain.
>
> You may be right.  Perhaps we should just send another unplug message
> if we get a device_del on something that's already pending deletion.
> AFAICT repeated unplug messages for the same device should be
> harmless.

Consider physical PCI hot unplug.  You press a button next to the slot,
wait for the (figuratively) green light, then pull out the card.  You
can press the button as many times as you want.

>> So, what David mentioned above is related to pseries internals I believe.
>>
>> Up to 5.2.0 the pseries machine were silently ignoring all 'device_del'
>> issued for devices that were in the middle of the unplug process, with the
>> exception of DIMMs where we bothered to throw an error message back to the
>> user.
>>
>> In 6.0.0 the code was reworked, and now we're always letting the user know
>> when the 'device_del' was ignored due to an ongoing hotunplug of the device.
>> And for CPUs we also tell the timeout remaining. We're still not sending
>> multiple hotunplug IRQ pulses to the guest, but at least the user is now
>> informed about it.

This is possible because you know unplug is in progress.  I'm not sure
we can know for all devices.

>> As for the commit mentioned below:
>>

>> > Depending on the device, device_del can complete the unplug, or merely
>> > initiate it.  Documentation:
>> >
>> > # Notes: When this command completes, the device may not be removed from
>> > the
>> > #        guest.  Hot removal is an operation that requires guest
>> > cooperation.
>> > #        This command merely requests that the guest begin the hot removal
>> > #        process.  Completion of the device removal process is signaled
>> > with a
>> > #        DEVICE_DELETED event. Guest reset will automatically complete
>> > removal
>> > #        for all devices.
>> >
>> > This is not as accurate as it could be.  Behavior depends on the device.
>> >
>> > For some kinds of devices, the command completes the unplug before it
>> > sends its reply.  Example: USB devices.  Fine print: the DEVICE_DELETED
>> > event gets send with a slight delay because device cleanup uses RCU.
>> >
>> > For others, notably PCI devices, the command only pokes the guest to do
>> > its bit.  QEMU reacts to the guest's actions, which eventually leads to
>> > the actual unplug.  DEVICE_DELETED gets sent then.  If the guest doesn't
>> > play ball to the end, the event doesn't get send.
>> >
>> > The "can't retry unplug" behavior is new.  Another device_del used to
>> > simply poke the guest again.
>
> Maybe on x86.  I think a repeated device_del was at best a no-op on
> PAPR.

There's certainly more than one way to skin this cat.  When QEMU knows
the guest is still working on the unplug, poking the guest again is
useless at best.

>> > I think this regressed in commit
>> > cce8944cc9 "qdev-monitor: Forbid repeated device_del", 2020-02-25.
>> > Feels like a must-fix for 6.0.
>>

>> This doesn't directly affect pseries code because we're not using
>> dev->pending_deleted_event to track the pending unplug status. We're
>
> Huh... I didn't know about pending_deleted_event.  Maybe we *should*
> be using that.  Handling the migration will be painful, of course.

Paolo and I believe the code around @pending_deleted_event has become
wrong.

@pending_deleted_event was created to get DEVICE_DELETED right for
recursively deleted devices (commit 352e8da74).  It did *not* "track the
pending unplug status".

It was later appropriated for other purposes (commit c000a9bd0,
9711cd0df, cce8944cc).  Paolo and I believe these are wrong.

>> using an internal flag that is related to the DRC (the 'hotplug state'
>> of the device).
>>
>> The commit seems a bit odd because it is making a change in the common code
>> inside qmp_device_del() based on a PCI-e specific behavior. In the end this
>> doesn't impact any other device but PCI-e (it is the only device that uses
>> dev->pending_deleted_event to mark the start and finish of the unplug
>> process),
>> but it's not something that I might expect in that function.

Concur.

>> IMO this verification should be removed from qmp_device_del and moved to
>> pcie_cap_slot_unplug_request_cb(). This would fix the problem for PCIe
>> devices
>> without making assumptions about everything else.

A subset of {Igor, Julia, Juan} intends to look into this in time for 6.0.

>> > Since the success event is named DEVICE_DELETED, I'd name the
>> > probably-failed event DEVICE_NOT_DELETED.  Bonus: can read it as a
>> > statement of fact "still not deleted" instead of an error (that just
>> > might not be one).
>>

>> "DEVICE_NOT_DELETED" sounds way better for what we want to express in the
>> pseries case when we can't be 100% sure of a guest side error. However,
>> there is at least one case where I'm sure of a guest side error (where I'm
>> using MEM_UNPLUG_ERROR), so DEVICE_UNPLUG_ERROR seems fitting in that case.
>>

>> Should we add both DEVICE_NOT_DELETED and DEVICE_UNPLUG_ERROR then? I can use
>> both in pseries-6.0.0.

Separate QMP events are advisable when their meaning is different enough
for a management application to want to tell them apart.

[...]