qemu-devel

Re: Problem running functional tests from China

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Problem running functional tests from China
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 12:57:13 +0000

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 01:48:25PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 2/24/21 1:08 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> >> I don't think protecting from random network malfunction is something
> >> the qemu project can do.
> >>
> >> That said, downloading the test data during test run does indeed look
> >> fragile.
> >>
> >> We have the concept of git submodules which is used in qemu extensively
> >> so the test data could possibly be included directly in the git tree.
> >>
> >> The obvious downside is that the current and past test binaries will take
> >> up disk space for all users that check out the repository, even those
> >> that don't run the tests.
> >
> > We explicitly do not want to be distributing / including the
> > images ourselves, as that makes the QEMU project responsible for
> > license compliance and thus provision of full & corresponding source.
>
> I am not asking that QEMU redistribute these files, I'm asking to the
> community if someone know an alternative to store files so we can run
> QEMU tests in Chinese cloud farms.
>
> Back to your comment, should we remove these tests?

No, I don't think that we should do that.

If someone has broken ISP and they need to run all tests, then they'll
need to use a VPN.

Regardless of that though, we should make sure that tests automatically
mark themselves as "skipped" if any downloading of assets fails. ie a
download failure shouldn't cause tests to report failure.

Regards,
Daniel