qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 31/31] qemu-option: warn for short-form boolean options

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [PULL 31/31] qemu-option: warn for short-form boolean options
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 15:58:55 +0100

Il mar 16 feb 2021, 15:52 Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> ha scritto:
> It's just an example that the prevalence of "nowait" over "wait" is simply because the default of "server" is false while the default of "wait" is true. Any boolean option whose default is true could benefit from a "no"-prefixed short form. But I am pretty sure that there are users in the wild for noipv4 or noipv6.

I think 'nowait' is special only because for so long our documentation
has recommended 'server,nowait' (and possibly also because inetd
uses 'nowait'?). I don't think it's inherently much better than
"wait=off" or whatever. I just think that if we have a situation
where exactly 1 boolean option has very widespread use of 'nofoo' then
it's worth special casing it.

If the point is just the one option that needs to be special cased because it's in the documentation, that also applies at a higher level to -chardev: let's just not warn for that one, and that's the end of the discussion.

Paolo

-- PMM