qemu-devel

Re: USB pass through into Mac OS 9.x with qemu-system-ppc

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: USB pass through into Mac OS 9.x with qemu-system-ppc
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 15:48:31 +0100

  Hi,

> Please find another pcap file attached. This one stems from an attempt
> to pass through a midi device when running qemu-system-ppc with Mac OS
> 9.2 in macOS host.

Ah, yes, I remember now.  Problem is that the usb stick is plugged into
a high-speed port (usb2) on the host but passed as full-speed device
(usb1) to the guest.  That works in some cases, but is not guaranteed
to work.  usb_host_speed_compat() tries to catch some of the
incompatible cases.  The usb-storage incompatibility slips through
because the incompatibility is specific to the mass storage protocol.
Specifically the wMaxPacketSize is 64 for usb1 and 512 for usb2.

Seems fedora deals better with the situation ...

take care,
  Gerd