qemu-devel

Re: Fwd: VirtioSound device emulation implementation

From: Shreyansh Chouhan
Subject: Re: Fwd: VirtioSound device emulation implementation
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 20:30:46 +0530

Just an update:

I've studied the virtio specification along with the source code and I now understand what the device implementation is
going to look like. Also I understand the source code a lot better. I am now reading about the qemu vhost-user protocol.

Although I haven't read about the vhost-user daemon in detail, from what little I have read, I would say that the daemon
would get the virtqueues from the virtio device and forward it to the sound device of the host. (This is the hard part
I think, since an in QEMU device would use code already written for processing these queues.) I think only the tx and rx
queues would be shared, and although I do not know exactly how the sharing will be implemented, I think the memory
will be shared to the vhost-user daemon too? So now the virtqueue memory is shared between the virtio driver in guest
OS, the virtio device in QEMU, and the vhost-user daemon running in the host userspace.

As for the configuration part, the driver will negotiate features with the virtio device in QEMU, which in turn will communicate
with the vhost-user daemon (via sockets) to get the features supported I think.

This is what I think it will roughly look like. (Of course modulo the implementation details.) I do not yet understand how
much more difficult will implementing the vhost-user daemon be, and since I was already
warned about the difficulty, I will not risk making any hasty decisions that later hinder the project. I will read up
about the vhost-user daemon and how it's implemented to get a better idea, and then make the final call.

Anyways I am super excited about the project. I got to learn about some really cool things in the past couple of days,
and I can not wait to implement it. :)