qemu-devel

Re: absolute firmware path made relocatable in qemu 5.2.0

From: Dave
Subject: Re: absolute firmware path made relocatable in qemu 5.2.0
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:46:29 +0400

Hi Paolo,

While this (option 2) partially works, it will still search for /nonexistent/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper for example so seems that some paths are still absolute and some relative.

To explain, what we are expecting that we compile one binary with the relevant options, test that and then it goes into production. If we compile with --prefix=/usr (it's final resting place will be /usr/bin) then everything works as expected once it is in production (since /usr/share/qemu, /usr/libexec, /etc/qemu exists as expected). However when we are testing the binary in a directory /root/qemu/5.2.0 with --prefix=/usr it breaks since it converts the firmware and bios paths to /root/qemu/5.2.0/../share/qemu. This means we need to recompile twice with relevant prefixes since if i use --prefix=/nonexistent then we can't find the qemu-bridge-helper when the binary goes into production.

It would be nicer with the relocatable binary took some fixed paths from /etc/qemu.conf for the bridge-helper, firmware, bios, qemu-ifup/down.

thanks
Dave