qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v6 10/11] accel: introduce AccelCPUClass extending CPUClass

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [RFC v6 10/11] accel: introduce AccelCPUClass extending CPUClass
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:13:27 +0100

On 12/19/20 12:00 AM, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> On 12/18/20 11:30 PM, Claudio Fontana wrote:

Happy new year,

picking up this topic again, i am looking at at now a different aspect of this
problem, of setting the right tcg ops for the right cpu class.

This issue I am highlighting is present because different targets behave
differently in this regard.

Ie, we have targets for which we always initialize all cpu classes, as a result
of different machine definitions.

This is the case of arm, for example where we end up with backtraces like:

arm_v7m_class_init
type_initialize
object_class_foreach_tramp
g_hash_table_foreach ()
object_class_foreach
object_class_get_list
select_machine ()
qemu_init
main

with the arm_v7m_class_init called even if we are just going to use an aarch64
cpu (so the class initializer for arm_v7m is called even for unused cpus
classes),

while in other cases we have the target explicitly relying on the fact that
only the right cpu class is initialized, for example in cris we have code like:

target/cris/cpu.c:

static void crisv9_cpu_class_init(ObjectClass *oc, void *data)
{
    CPUClass *cc = CPU_CLASS(oc);
    CRISCPUClass *ccc = CRIS_CPU_CLASS(oc);

    ccc->vr = 9;
    cc->do_interrupt = crisv10_cpu_do_interrupt;
    cc->gdb_read_register = crisv10_cpu_gdb_read_register;
    cc->tcg_initialize = cris_initialize_crisv10_tcg;
}

where the class initialization of the cpu is explicitly setting the methods of
CPUClass, therefore implicitly relying on the fact that no other class
initializer screws things up.

Given this context, which one of these methods is "right"? Should we rework
things so that only used cpu classes are actually initialized?
Or should we maybe not do these settings in cpu class_init at all, but rather
at cpu initfn time, or at cpu realize time?

any comments/preferences?

Thanks,

Claudio