qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 07/17] i386: move hyperv_vendor_id initialization to x86_cpu_r

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [PULL 07/17] i386: move hyperv_vendor_id initialization to x86_cpu_realizefn()
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 01:07:33 +0100

On 12/18/20 12:47 AM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 12:34:46AM +0100, Claudio Fontana wrote:

>>> I don't see how a separate QOM class for Hyper-V would be helpful
>>> here.  What would be the problem you are trying to solve in this
>>> case?
>>
>> there is now a call to accelerator specific code x86_hyperv_cpu_realize just
>> before cpu_exec_realize,
>> tying the generic target/i386/cpu.c code to kvm/hyperv-specific accel
>> initialization.
>>
>> if this is just a feature of the kvm accel, maybe I should just move all to
>> kvm-cpu.c and that's it.
>
> That would make sense.  If we decide this is a KVM-specific
> feature, this code can be moved to kvm_cpu_realizefn(), provided
> by the kvm-accel-x86_64-cpu class added by your series.
>
> However, I'm not sure we can say this is a KVM-specific feature.
> The feature is currently only supported by the KVM accelerator,
> but I'd say it is a generic feature.

Maybe in the future it will be a generic feature, and we can export it the
right way?
It will be super-easy if the feature is well contained.

Until it really is generic though, should it really appear in the middle of
x86_cpu_realizefn?
currently the generic code in target/i386/cpu.c contains an unconditional call
to:

x86_cpu_hyperv_realize(cpu);

before the call to cpu_exec_realizefn().

the function is defined in this very same file before as:

static void x86_cpu_hyperv_realize(X86CPU *cpu)
{
}

with a bunch of initializations of hyperv specific data, for example
cpu->hyperv_interface_id, cpu->hyperv_vendor_id, cpu->hyperv_version_id.

That data is ever only used in kvm/kvm.c, which is built conditionally under
CONFIG_KVM.

So the existing situation is fairly inconsistent in my view, at least for how
things are now, and in principle the extra code of the initializations for
hyperv should never be executed if !CONFIG_KVM.

Thanks,

Ciao,

Claudio