qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] ich9:cpuhp: add support for cpu hot-unplug with SMI broadcast

From: Ankur Arora
Subject: Re: [RFC] ich9:cpuhp: add support for cpu hot-unplug with SMI broadcast enabled
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:43:23 -0800

On 2020-11-27 7:19 a.m., Laszlo Ersek wrote:
On 11/27/20 05:10, Ankur Arora wrote:

Yeah I was wondering what would happen for simultaneous hot add and remove.
I guess we would always do remove first and then the add, unless we hit
the break due to max_cpus_per_pass and switch to hot-add mode.

Considering the firmware only, I disagree with remove-then-add.

EFI_SMM_CPU_SERVICE_PROTOCOL.AddProcessor() and
EFI_SMM_CPU_SERVICE_PROTOCOL.RemoveProcessor() (implemented in
SmmAddProcessor() and SmmRemoveProcessor() in
"UefiCpuPkg/PiSmmCpuDxeSmm/CpuService.c", respectively) only mark the
processors for addition/removal. The actual processing is done only
later, in BSPHandler() --> SmmCpuUpdate(), when "all SMI handlers are
finished" (see the comment in SmmRemoveProcessor()).

Consequently, I would not suggest replacing a valid APIC ID in a
particular mCpuHotPlugData.ApicId[Index] slot with INVALID_APIC_ID
(corresponding to the unplug operation), and then possibly replacing
INVALID_APIC_ID in the *same slot* with the APIC ID of the newly plugged
CPU, in the exact same SMI invocation (= in the same execution of
CpuHotplugMmi()). That might cause some component in edk2 to see the
APIC ID in mCpuHotPlugData.ApicId[Index] to change from one valid ACPI
ID to another valid APIC ID, and I don't even want to think about what
kind of mess that could cause.

Shudders.

So no, please handle plugs first, for which unused slots in
mCpuHotPlugData.ApicId will be populated, and *then* handle removals (in
the same invocation of CpuHotplugMmi()).

Yeah, that ordering makes complete sense.

By the way, for unplug, you will not have to re-set
mCpuHotPlugData.ApicId[Index] to INVALID_APIC_ID, as
SmmRemoveProcessor() does that internally. You just have to locate the
Index for the APIC ID being removed, for calling
EFI_SMM_CPU_SERVICE_PROTOCOL.RemoveProcessor().

Right. The hotplug is more involved (given the need to pen the new CPU)
but for the unplug, AFAICS all the actual handling for removal is in
.RemoveProcessor() and at SMI exit in SmmCpuUpdate().

Thanks
Ankur

Thanks
Laszlo