qemu-devel

[DISCUSSION] Running one qtest test: how?

From: Doug Evans
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Running one qtest test: how?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 15:39:08 -0800

Hi.

I can run a subset of qtest tests with "make check-qtest-TARGET", but that's the limit of the granularity that I can find. Why would one want more granularity? When adding a test one wants the edit/test cycle as short as possible and needlessly running other tests is a pain.

It'd be really nice to be able to specify one test via make check. I realize I can pass V=1 and get some help to dig further. And if I grep for my test in Makefile.mtest I can reduce the number of tests down to just the test binary I want (e.g., "make run-test-229" to run qtest-i386/qos-test, the 229 will vary tree to tree). I don't mind the 229, it's machineĀ generatedĀ but it's easy to find and will be reasonably stable in one build (though ideally one could pass the test name to "make" instead of NNN). But I still want more granularity. What I really want is:

$ make run-test-229 TEST_OPTS="-p /foo/bar"

so that only test /foo/bar is run (see the output of qos-test --help). qos-test binaries can contain dozens of tests, I just want one of them.

Am I missing something? What do others do when adding a test?

I'm happy to work on a patch to let one pass additional parameters to the test binary as in the above example. Guidance for what will be acceptable appreciated. Different test binaries will take different parameters: A general mechanism to pass arbitrary additional parameters to the test binary (.test.cmd.NNN in mtest-speak) would be quite useful.