qemu-devel

[DISCUSSION] Allow ACPI default OEM ID and OEM table ID fields to be set

From: Antoine Damhet
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Allow ACPI default OEM ID and OEM table ID fields to be set.
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:27:11 +0100

Hello,

We recently found out that some softwares are effectively crashing
when they detect qemu's `OEM ID` or `OEM table ID` in the ACPI tables.

I see no reason not to expose the setting to the user/command-line. A
previous patch has been submitted in 2015[1] but did not get through
because (if I understand correctly) using the IDs on the `SLIC`, `BXPC`
and `RSDT` tables were enough at the time.

If you agree, I am willing to forward port the patches of M. Jones but I
need to ask how it would work `Signed-Off`-wise ?

Thanks in advance for your time,

PS: the softwares will crash if the signature is found in any of the
    exposed tables.

[1]:
https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/1441220618-4750-1-git-send-email-rjones@redhat.com/

--