qemu-devel

Re: Deprecate the nios2-linux-user target?

From: Laurent Vivier
Subject: Re: Deprecate the nios2-linux-user target?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 19:01:24 +0100

Le 13/11/2020 à 17:01, Thomas Huth a écrit :

>  Hi all,
>
> looking at some bug reports in the launchpad bug tracker:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1791763
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1791796
>
> ... it seems like the nios2-linux-user target is rather broken and
> neglected? Is anybody still using it? If not, should we mark it as deprecated?

The problem in deprecating the target is if it is removed no one will
fix it. But if no one use it, do we need to fix it? But perhaps no one
uses it because it is broken...

>From a linux-user maintenance point of view, I have no problem to keep
this target present (that does not mean alive).

The NiosII target has been introduced on the 01/2018 (ae5045ae5b2b),
and the bug reports filed on the 09/2018.

I think the decision to deprecate the linux-user target should be taken
by the NiosII TCG CPUs maintainers (Chris or Marek) as they have
introduced it in the current state.

Thanks,
Laurent