qemu-devel

Re: QMP and the 'id' parameter

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: QMP and the 'id' parameter
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 11:27:26 +0100

Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 07:22:26AM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
[...]
>> Command responses get sent strictly in order (even parse errors), except
>> for commands executed out-of-band.
>
> With out of band commands, how much runs in the background ? Is the
> JSON parsing still in the foreground, such that we can expect that
> even for OOB commands, a error response without a "id" is still
> received strictly in order.

Yes, you can.  We made sure both errors and results flow through the
same pipeline[*].  The only fork is for OOB commands, and to take it,
the parser must have yielded a JSON object.

Use of exec-oob without "id" is foolish.

Pipelining commands without "id" is merely unadvisable.

[*] We queue parse errors along with successfully parsed values.
The QMP dispatcher dequeues, executes if it's a request, sends the
response, loop.