qemu-devel

QEMU RAM allocation function fails

From: Wayne Li
Subject: QEMU RAM allocation function fails
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 13:50:06 -0600

Dear QEMU list members,

We developed a virtual machine that runs on QEMU.  This virtual
machine is pretty much an emulated P4080 processor with some
peripherals attached.  Initializing one of these peripherals, i.e. the
RAM, seems to be having problems.  I use the function
"memory_region_init_ram" to initialize the RAM and farther down the
call stack I see that the "qemu_ram_alloc" function returns an address
of 0 proving the RAM allocation wasn't successful.  Here is the block
of code in question copied from the file memory.c:

void memory_region_init_ram_shared_nomigrate(MemoryRegion *mr,
                                             Object *owner,
                                             const char *name,
                                             uint64_t size,
                                             bool share,
                                             Error **errp)
{
    memory_region_init(mr, owner, name, size);
    mr->ram = true;
    mr->terminates = true;
    mr->destructor = memory_region_destructor_ram;
    mr->ram_block = qemu_ram_alloc(size, share, mr, errp);
    mr->dirty_log_mask = tcg_enabled() ? (1 << DIRTY_MEMORY_CODE) : 0;
}

Tracing farther into the "qemu_ram_alloc" function reveals that the
function fails because inside the "qemu_ram_alloc_internal" function
in file exec.c, the function "ram_block_add" fails.  Interestingly, a
local_err object is populated here and the msg field in this object is
populated with the String "cannot set up guest memory 'ram0': Invalid
argument".  Here is the block of code in question copied from the file
exec.c:

RAMBlock *qemu_ram_alloc_internal(ram_addr_t size, ram_addr_t max_size,
                                  void (*resized)(const char*,
                                                  uint64_t length,
                                                  void *host),
                                  void *host, bool resizeable, bool share,
                                  MemoryRegion *mr, Error **errp)
{
    RAMBlock *new_block;
    Error *local_err = NULL;

    size = HOST_PAGE_ALIGN(size);
    max_size = HOST_PAGE_ALIGN(max_size);
    new_block = g_malloc0(sizeof(*new_block));
    new_block->mr = mr;
    new_block->resized = resized;
    new_block->used_length = size;
    new_block->max_length = max_size;
    assert(max_size >= size);
    new_block->fd = -1;
    new_block->page_size = getpagesize();
    new_block->host = host;
    if (host) {
        new_block->flags |= RAM_PREALLOC;
    }
    if (resizeable) {
        new_block->flags |= RAM_RESIZEABLE;
    }
    ram_block_add(new_block, &local_err, share);
    if (local_err) {
        g_free(new_block);
        error_propagate(errp, local_err);
        return NULL;
    }
    return new_block;
}

Anyway, our VM runs fine until it tries to access the RAM region so
this is a pretty critical problem for us to solve.  Does anyone know
much about these QEMU functions?  What could be causing these RAM
initialzation functions to fail in this way?

-Thanks, Wayne Li