qemu-devel

Re: VFIO Migration

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: VFIO Migration
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 07:47:55 -0500

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 12:13:24PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Stefan Hajnoczi (stefanha@redhat.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > What does a user facing tool do?  If I say I want one of these NICs
> > > and I'm on the latest QEMU machine type, who sets all these parameters?
> >
> > The machine type is orthogonal since QEMU doesn't know about every
> > possible VFIO device. The device is like a PCI adapter that is added to
> > a physical machine aftermarket, it's not part of the base machine's
> > specs.
>
> OK, but ignoring migration, I think the same problem holds; if I'm a
> tool creating one of these VMs, and I plug this device in, what do I do
> with all it's configuration parameters?  I'd assume most of the time
> that they don't know about or dont care about most of the parameters,
> they just want the sane defaults unless told otherwise.

I think that if you ignore migration then you can ignore parameters.

> > The migration tool queries the parameters from the source device.
> > VFIO/mdev will provide sysfs attrs. For vfio-user I'm not sure whether
> > to print the parameters during device instantiation, require a
> > VFIO-compatible FUSE directory, or to use a query-migration-params RPC
> > command.
>
> But on VM creation we have to answer the question of what config do we
> want; so for example lets say I'm creating a new VM in my cluster,
> but I want to be sure that later I can migrate it.  I can read the
> config off one of the other machines;  can I just use that even if my
> new machine has a later device implementation?
>
> Dave

I don't think so - we need a tool that can query a set of machines and then
produce a safe configuration.

The same problem exists with vhost as well it will just
explode exponentially with lots more devices and backends ...
Talked about it a bit in my kvm forum preso ...