qemu-devel

Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 09:54:58 +0000

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 07:14:47AM +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 05/11/2020 01.06, John Snow wrote:
> > On 10/30/20 6:57 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >>
> >> The compelling reason is that there is no way that I want to
> >> have to consult two entirely separate bug tracking systems
> >> to see what our reported bugs are. We must have an entry
> >> in the new BTS for every 'live' bug, whether it was originally
> >> reported to LP or to gitlab.
> [...]
> > OK. I will try to investigate using the Launchpad API to pull our
> > existing information, and then using the Gitlab API to re-create them.
>
> Before we migrate hundreds of bugs around, I think we should first check
> which ones are stale, and which are still valid. So for all bugs that are in
> "New" state and older than, let's say 2 years, I think we should add a
> message a la:
>
>  The QEMU project is currently considering to move its bug tracking to
> another system. For this we need to know which bugs are still valid and
> which could be closed already. Thus we are setting all older bugs to
> "Incomplete" now. If you still think this bug report here is valid, then
> please switch the state back to "New" within the next 60 days, otherwise
> this report will be marked as "Expired". Thank you and sorry for the
> inconvenience.
>
> Then set the state to "Incomplete" and wait and see how many bugs expire in
> 60 days.

This sounds like a good idea.

I would further suggest that for bugs older than 5 years, we just close
them straightaway and skip this message. Users can always re-open or
re-file the bug in the very unlikely case they still care after 5 years.
We have some bugs that date from 2010, and just doesn't seem like we will
ever address those even if the user responded to the message by setting
it back to "New".

Regards,
Daniel