qemu-devel

Re: Ramping up Continuous Fuzzing of Virtual Devices in QEMU

From: Alexander Bulekov
Subject: Re: Ramping up Continuous Fuzzing of Virtual Devices in QEMU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 10:25:06 -0500

On 201104 1600, P J P wrote:
> +-- On Thu, 22 Oct 2020, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote --+

> | If we assume that a non-negligible number of fuzz bugs will be exploitable
> | by a malicious guest OS to break out into the host, then I think it is
> | likely undesirable to make them public immediately without at least a basic
> | human triage step to catch possibly serious security issues.
>
> * Maybe the proposed 'qemu-security' list can receive such issue reports.  It
>   is more close than qemu-devel.
>
>   But it also depends on the quantum of traffic oss-fuzz generates. We don't
>   want to flood/overwhelm qemu-security list or any other list for that
>   matter.

If I understand correctly, this is analogous to what happens with
Coverity reports. Access to Coverity is closed (not sure if there is a
process to apply for access). It also seems that there is a push to fix
CID issues prior to new releases. Maybe a similar process can be used for
fuzzing?

> * Human triage is required to know potential impact of an issue before it is
>   sent to a public list. It would not be good to send guest-to-host-escape
>   type issues directly to a public list.
>
> * Ideally preliminary human triage should be done on the fuzzers' side.
>   After it hits an issue, someone should have a look at it before sending an
>   email to a list OR maintainer(s).
>
>   Ex. TCG issues are generally not considered for CVE. They need not go to a
>   security list.

Of all the issues found by the fuzzer, I think there are two major
categories of "false-positives".
    * Intentionally-triggerable assertion failures
      (e.g. "assert Feature X not supported !")
    * Problems only triggerable through CPU (e.g. problems related to
      referencing the thread-local "current_cpu" variable.

These should be a minority of all issues for which we can automatically
generate qtest reproducers. As far as I know, OSS-Fuzz isn't fuzzing any
devices unsupported by KVM.

Thanks
-Alex