qemu-devel

Re: [RFC DOCUMENT 00/12] kubevirt-and-kvm: Add documents

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: Re: [RFC DOCUMENT 00/12] kubevirt-and-kvm: Add documents
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 20:31:01 +0200

On Tue, 2020-09-22 at 11:29 +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Hi Andrea,

Hi Philippe, and sorry for the delay in answering!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to go through the documents
and posting your thoughts. More comments below.

> Thanks a lot for this documentation, I could learn new things,
> use cases out of my interest area. Useful as a developer to
> better understand how are used the areas I'm coding. This
> shorten a bit that gap between developers and users.
>
> What would be more valuable than a developer review/feedback is
> having feedback from users and technical writers.
> Suggestion: also share it on qemu-discuss@nongnu.org which is
> less technical (maybe simply repost the cover and link to the
> Wiki).

More eyes would obviously be good, but note that these are really
intended to improve the interactions between QEMU/libvirt and
KubeVirt, so the audience is ultimately developers. Of course you
could say that KubeVirt developers *are* users when it comes to
QEMU/libvirt, and you wouldn't be wrong ;) Still, qemu-devel seems
like the proper venue.

> What is not obvious in this cover (and the documents pasted on
> the list) is there are schema pictures on the Wiki pages which
> are not viewable and appreciable via an email post.

You're right! I was pretty sure I had a line about that somewhere in
there but I guess it got lost during editing. Hopefully the URL at
the very beginning of each document caused people to browse the HTML
version.

> I had zero knowledge on Kubernetes. I have been confused by their
> use in the introduction...
>
> From Index:
>
> "The intended audience is people who are familiar with the traditional
> virtualization stack (QEMU plus libvirt), and in order to make it
> more approachable to them comparisons, are included and little to no
> knowledge of KubeVirt or Kubernetes is assumed."
>
> Then in Architecture's {Goals and Components} there is an assumption
> Kubernetes is known. Entering in Components, Kubernetes is briefly
> but enough explained.
>
> Then KubeVirt is very well explained.

I guess the sections in the Index you're referring to assume that you
know that Kubernetes is somehow connected to containers, and that
it's a clustered environment. Anything else I missed?

Perhaps we could move the contents of

https://gitlab.cee.redhat.com/abologna/kubevirt-and-kvm/-/blob/master/Components.md#kubernetes

to a small document that's linked to near the very top. Would that
improve things, in your opinion?

> Sometimes the "Other topics" category is confusing, it seems out
> of the scope of the "better understanding and documenting the
> interactions between KubeVirt and KVM" and looks like left over
> notes.

That's probably because they absolutely are O:-)

> Maybe renaming the "Other topics" section would help.
> "Unanswered questions", "Other possibilities to investigate",...

This sounds sensible :)

Thanks again for your feedback!