qemu-devel

Re: Deprecating --enable-gprof?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Deprecating --enable-gprof?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:27:27 +0100

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 03:19:00PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 at 14:27, Marc-André Lureau
> <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > configure has --enable-gprof since its creation, but is it actually being
> > used, or is it sporadic enough that we could deprecate it?
>
> This reminds me (because I can never keep gprof and gcov straight
> in my head :-)) that now the meson build has landed we should
> probably insist on gcov/gcovr being at least version 4.1, because
> older versions don't correctly handle out of tree builds:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-06/msg05823.html

I think we might not need todo anything at this point. --enable-gcov
just delegates to meson by passing  "-Db_coverage=true" to meson.

We still have a coverage-summary.sh script that is run in Travis, but
I'm not sure if that's obsolete or not

If we were using meson/ninja directly we'd just do "meson coverage-html"
to generate a report:

  https://mesonbuild.com/howtox.html#producing-a-coverage-report

and the resulting file could be published from CI as an artifact.

Regards,
Daniel