qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/18] riscv-to-apply queue

From: Bin Meng
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/18] riscv-to-apply queue
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 18:06:07 +0800

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 04:21, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 6:41 AM Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Richard and Philippe review patches and some of the RISC-V patches get
> > > reviewed by the RISC-V community. The main problem (which is a common
> > > problem in open source) is that large technical patch series just get
> > > ignored.
> >
> > Yep, I am only comfortable reviewing patches which I have confidence
> > in. Right now I am not working on any H- or V - extension for RISC-V
> > so I cannot contribute to any review of these large numbers of H- or
> > V- extension related patches. Sorry!
>
> So, everybody has a ton of work they need to do and only a limited
> amount of time they might have for code review, so it's important to
> prioritise. But I would encourage you, and other people contributing
> to RISC-V parts of QEMU, to at least sometimes review changes that are
> a little bit out of your "comfort zone" if nobody else seems to be
> doing so. Review can find bugs, areas that are confusing or need
> comments, etc, even without a thorough knowledge of the relevant spec.
> (In fact, not knowing the spec can help in identifying where
> explanatory comments can help the reader!) And for the project it means
> we have more people who at least have some idea of what that bit of code
> is doing. Review that is limited to "this code seems to make sense but
> I haven't checked it against the spec" is better than patches getting
> no review at all, I think. And it's a good way to build your knowledge
> of the codebase and the architecture over time.

Agree. I really wanted to spend more time on this project but like you
said it's priorities.

One thing I do not understand is that according to MAINTAINTERS there
are 4 custodians for the RISC-V maintenance work but it looks to me so
far only Alistair is actively reviewing patches. I know Palmer used to
review patches but if it's only one person that might be some issues.
At least MAINTAINTERS can cross-review, and we have 4 there.

Regards,
Bin