qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/18] riscv-to-apply queue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/18] riscv-to-apply queue
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 10:25:15 +0100

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 04:21, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 6:41 AM Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Richard and Philippe review patches and some of the RISC-V patches get
> > reviewed by the RISC-V community. The main problem (which is a common
> > problem in open source) is that large technical patch series just get
> > ignored.
>
> Yep, I am only comfortable reviewing patches which I have confidence
> in. Right now I am not working on any H- or V - extension for RISC-V
> so I cannot contribute to any review of these large numbers of H- or
> V- extension related patches. Sorry!

So, everybody has a ton of work they need to do and only a limited
amount of time they might have for code review, so it's important to
prioritise. But I would encourage you, and other people contributing
to RISC-V parts of QEMU, to at least sometimes review changes that are
a little bit out of your "comfort zone" if nobody else seems to be
doing so. Review can find bugs, areas that are confusing or need
comments, etc, even without a thorough knowledge of the relevant spec.
(In fact, not knowing the spec can help in identifying where
explanatory comments can help the reader!) And for the project it means
we have more people who at least have some idea of what that bit of code
is doing. Review that is limited to "this code seems to make sense but
I haven't checked it against the spec" is better than patches getting
no review at all, I think. And it's a good way to build your knowledge
of the codebase and the architecture over time.

thanks
-- PMM