qemu-devel

Re: please try to avoid sending pullreqs late on release-candidate day

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: please try to avoid sending pullreqs late on release-candidate day
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 17:36:53 +0100

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> writes:

> On 7/23/20 8:28 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

>>> <snip>

>>> I've taken to just stacking up patches from my multiple trees to avoid
>>> sending more than one PR a week. Of course sometimes the stack grows a
>>> bit too tall and becomes unwieldy :-/
>>
>> You're right, stacking unrelated smaller pull requests makes sense when
>> pulling all the pull requests in flight races with a deadline.
>
> I tend to disagree, since few patches from the "candidate fixes for
> 5.1-rc1" series are still being discussed, and we are past rc1. Half
> of them could have been merged in for rc1.

Sometime I do peel of the patches that are already ready and push
through the PR - especially if the stack is getting a bit too wobbly.
However as rc1 had already passed I just continued to collect them.

After all splitting them off is not cost free as I like to ensure my
final tag has a clean run through our CI as well as an overnight soak
through some of the longer tests ("make docker-test-build" & the vm
tests). Usually I tag at the end of the day and then send the PR the
next morning.

I'm about to post v3 of the series - I'll aim to tag it all Friday
evening or over the w/e and post the PR on Monday.

--
Alex Bennée