qemu-devel

Re: [PULL v2 00/52] Misc patches for QEMU 5.1 soft freeze

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL v2 00/52] Misc patches for QEMU 5.1 soft freeze
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 16:50:35 +0100

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 16:46, Max Reitz <mreitz@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10.07.20 17:42, Peter Maydell wrote:

> >> It arrived with 4.0, actually, which was released 11 years ago.
> >> I had assumed that would be sufficiently mature.
> >>
> >> So, um, 11 years isn’t sufficiently mature then and I’ll have to work
> >> around not having readarray for macOS?
> >
> > It's the usual Apple-vs-GPL3 issue.
> >
> > I note that the iotests do seem to regularly run into
> > non-portable constructs: Kevin's latest pullreq has
> > just failed due to a use of 'truncate' that doesn't
> > work on the BSDs.
>
> :/
>
> I’ll send a patch to drop readarray.

Thanks. I realised as a result of discussion on IRC that
this slipped through my testing because my OSX system
wasn't running iotests at all because it didn't have a
GNU sed available.

As Dan says, the other option is to do the same thing we
do for GNU sed, and skip all the iotests if we don't
have a new enough bash. I can always install sed and
bash out of homebrew to bring my setup into line with the
cirrus CI one. If we take that path we should update the
cirrus CI config to make sure it also installs homebrew
bash (and that the iotests use bash-from-the-path, not
/bin/bash.)

-- PMM