qemu-devel

Re: Separate notifications from list messages?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Separate notifications from list messages?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:54:54 +0100

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:40:05AM +0300, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

> > On 10 Jul 2020, at 11:32, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > ... Do we expect any other
> > kinds to appear as we make more use of gitlab?
>
> I have zero experience with gitlab, but on github yes, most project activity
> can trigger notifications.
>
> this is not a problem in itself. the problem is that, instead of
> using a personal email address, the qemu-devel list was used
> somewhere in the project settings, and all notifications go to the list.

This wasn't a mistake - it was very delibrate, precisely so that all
involved in QEMU development will see the failures, instead of expecting
a handful of people to take all the work of dealing with failures. In
general anyone who's a regular contributor has a shared responsibility
to help keep QEMU building reliably.

Given the overall volume of mail on qemu-devel, a handful of notifications
from CI each day is not a burden IMHO.

Regards,
Daniel