qemu-devel

Re: -enablefips

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: -enablefips
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 11:09:33 -0400

On 6/24/20 2:49 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> IIRC the idea is to have a global switch to enable fips compilance for
> the whole distro.  RH specific.  rhel-7 kernel has it.  rhel-8 kernel
> too, so it probably isn't obsolete.  Not present in mainline kernels.
>
> I'm wondering what the point of the -enablefips switch is.  Shouldn't
> qemu check /proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled unconditionally instead?

It sounds like we want a compile-time flag that makes it mandatory
instead of optional where it doesn't do a good job of "enforcing" fips
mode. (If you accidentally, uh, omit it.)

Then the flag can go away. Compile the feature in or out. Toggle the
behavior using the /proc/sys/ flag.

Or, as Dan said, just get rid of it. It sounds like it's already handled
by our client libraries in 2020.

--js