qemu-devel

Re: Usage of pci bus

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Usage of pci bus
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:31:54 +0100

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 20:36, Gautam Bhat <mindentropy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am confused with the usage of PCI bus for connecting different
> peripherals. If I want to emulate an ARM board which doesn't have a
> PCI controller how can I emulate it to be as close to the real board
> as possible? Is there an ARM interconnect or something where I can
> connect the peripheral controllers and the peripherals to these
> controllers?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If the board you want
to emulate doesn't have a PCI controller, then just don't
implement a model of a PCI controller. You won't be able
to use any PCI devices, but that's fine, because the real
hardware you're modelling doesn't have PCI devices.
Most of the devices you emulate are going to be the simple
straightforward type which have some MMIO-mapped registers
and an interrupt line. In QEMU we call those "sysbus" devices;
there are lots of examples in the tree.

thanks
-- PMM