qemu-devel

Re: ovmf / PCI passthrough impaired due to very limiting PCI64 aperture

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: ovmf / PCI passthrough impaired due to very limiting PCI64 aperture
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:28:34 +0100

* Daniel P. Berrangé (berrange@redhat.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 01:10:21PM -0400, Eduardo Habkost wrote:

> > > In downstream RH qemu, we run with host-physbits as default; so it's
> > > reasonably
> > > trustworthy; of course that doesn't help you across a migration between
> > > hosts with different sizes (e.g. an E5 Xeon to an E3).
> > > Changing upstream to do the same would seem sensible to me, but it's not
> > > a foolproof config.
> >
> > Yeah, to make it really trustworthy we would need to prevent
> > migration to hosts with mismatching phys sizes.  We would need to
> > communicate that to the guest somehow (with new hypervisor CPUID
> > flags, maybe).
>
> QEMU should be able to validate the hostphysbits >= guestphysbits when
> accepting incoming migration, and abort it.

Yeh, there's an outstanding request to validate other CPU flags as well.

> Meanwhile libvirt should be enhanced to report hostphysbits, so that
> management apps can determine that they shouldn't even pick bad hosts
> in the first place.

Sounds reasonable.
Note there are a couple of other considerations when choosing the
physbits as reported to the guest:

  a) TCG's view - I think it had a fixed size of 40 bits, but I haven't
     dug into it.
  b) We recently gained 'host-phys-bits-limit' which when used with
host-phys-bits lets you take the host value but then limit it.  Eduardo
seems to have done that to limit the guest from flipping into 5-level
page tables.  Hmm I've not tried with chips that do 5-level - but maybe
we also need this if you expect to migrate to hosts that don't have it.

(I've also got a vague memory that there's a limit in some IOMMUs
address sizes, but I can't remember what the details were).

Dave