qemu-devel

Re: fpu/softfloat: a question on BFloat 16 support on QEMU

From: LIU Zhiwei
Subject: Re: fpu/softfloat: a question on BFloat 16 support on QEMU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:09:26 +0800

On 2020/6/8 23:50, Alex Bennée wrote:
LIU Zhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

I am doing bfloat16 support on QEMU.

Once I tried to reuse float32 interface, but I couldn't properly process
rounding in some insns like fadd.
What do you mean by re-use the float32 interface? Isn't bfloat16 going
to be pretty much the same as float16 but with some slightly different
float parameters for the different encoding?

Like the float16 code it won't have to deal with any of the hardfloat
wrappers so it should look pretty similar.

What's your opinion about it? Should I expand the fpu/softfloat?
bfloat16 is certainly going to become more common that we should have
common softfloat code to handle it. It would be nice is TestFloat could
exercise it as well.
Hi Alex,

I have add the bfloat16 interfaces in QEMU softfloat.  Now I moved forward to test the bfloat16 interfaces.

When I looked into the fp-test.c and the berkeley-testfloat-3, I found it's some difficult to add bfloat16 interfaces test cases.

There are no corresponding bfloat16 slow_X interlaces in slowfloat.c. Nor there is bfloat16 test_X interfaces in berkeley-testfloat-3.

case F16_MULADD:
 test_abcz_f16(slow_f16_mulAdd, qemu_f16_mulAdd);
 break;

If I want to test bfloat16 interfaces, could you give some advice? Should I need to modify berkeley-testfloat-3 to support the bfloat16 test.

Best Regards,
Zhiwei

Best Regards,
Zhiwei