qemu-devel

Re: [Libguestfs] Provide NBD via Browser over Websockets

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Libguestfs] Provide NBD via Browser over Websockets
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 10:27:15 +0100

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 09:08:29PM +0000, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > In the meantime, you may still be able to set up something like:
> > >
> > > local machine:
> > > iso -> NBD server -> Unix socket -> websockify -> WebSocket
> >
> > I guess the idea is to have a zero-install solution for the browser.
> > As I said in the email earlier this is very common for IPMI-type
> > remote access to blade servers and in my experience is implemented
> > using a Java applet and a proprietary protocol terminated at the BMC
> > (which then emulates a virtual CDROM to the server).  There are some
> > HP blade servers on Red Hat's internal Beaker instance where you can
> > play with this.  For qemu we wouldn't need to invent a new protocol
> > when NBD is available and already implemented (albeit not yet on top
> > of WebSockets).
> >
> > The NBD server must run inside the browser and therefore be either
> > written from scratch in Javascript, or an existing server
> > cross-compiled to WASM (if that is possible - I don't really know).
>
> Interesting idea about WASM.  I'll see if I can build one of the simple
> nbd servers that are around.  Not sure how to link it to the JS file IO,
> however.

After reading a bit about compiling to WebSockets it sounds like you
can cross-compile a C program, but there's no library support at all.
IOW to port an existing server you'd have to implement enough of POSIX
to make it work.  nbdkit has a liberal license deliberately to make it
possible to chop it up and incorporate it into completely forked
codebases (nbdkit is a plot to make NBD more popular).

But since NBD is pretty simple, a fresh Javascript server might be
easier, especially if you stick to only implementing reads.

Rich.