qemu-devel

Re: sharing intention for developing per-target, dynamically loadable ac

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: sharing intention for developing per-target, dynamically loadable accelerator modules
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 09:53:54 +0200

On 5/18/20 8:18 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:

> [...]
>> accelerator modules.
>>
>> This would allow to distribute a single QEMU base binary, and then provide
>> accelerators as optional additional binary packages to install,
>> with the first separate optional package being TCG.
>>
>> CONFIG_TCG would become 'm' as a result, but then also CONFIG_KVM,
>> CONFIG_HAX, CONFIG_WHPX, CONFIG_HVF.
>>
>> Here are some elements that seem to be needed:
>>
>> 1 - The module CONFIG_MODULE part of the build system would need some
>> extension to add per-target modules. I have some tentative results that
>> shows that this is possible (but a bit clunky atm).
>>     There is some existing instability in the existing Makefile
>> infrastructure of modules that shows up when trying to extend it.
>>
>> 2 - new "accelerator drivers" seems to be needed, either in addition or as
>> additional functionality inside the current AccelState.
>>
>> 3 - for target/i386 in particular, there is some refactoring work needed to
>> split even more different unrelated bits and pieces.
>>     dependencies of hw/i386 machine stuff with accelerator-specific
>> stuff are also painful.
>
> There are a couple of per-arch hacks in the main TCG cpu loops it would
> be good to excise from the code.
>

>> 4 - CPU Arch Classes could be extended with per-accelerator methods. Initial
>> fooling around shows it should probably work.
>>     One alternative would be trying to play with the dynamic linker (weak
>> symbols, creative use of dlsym etc), but I have not sorted out the details
>> of this option.
>>
>> 5 - cputlb, in particular tlb_flush and friends is a separate problem
>> since it is not part of the cpuclass. Should it be?
>
> tlb_flush and friends are TCG implementation details for softmmu that
> ensure a lookup for any address will always return to a guest specific
> tlb_fill to rebuild the cache. The behaviour is not guest-specific
> per-se although we do partition the table entries based on the guest
> size.
>
> Perhaps we can make it more dynamic but it would have to ensure both the
> slow path and the fast path are using the same mask and shifts when
> walking the table.
>
>> 6 - a painpoint is represented by the fact that in USER mode, the accel
>> class is not applied, which causes a lot of uncleanliness all around
>>     (tcg_allowed outside of the AccelClass).
>
> The user-mode run loops are a whole separate chunk of code. I don't know
> if it is worth trying to make them plugable as you will only ever have
> one per linux-user binary.
>
>> 7 - I have not really thought about the KConfig aspects because I am not
>> super-familiar
>>
>> 8 - cpus.c needs some good splitting
>
> Although there are several different run loops in there I think they
> share a lot of commonality which is why they are bundled together. They
> all share the same backend for dealing with ioevents and generic
> pause/unpause machinery. But feel free to prove me wrong ;-)

Hi Alex, I got my first compile, and it is currently in github, I still need to
split the series though and there is still cleanup needed.

https://github.com/hw-claudio/qemu.git
branch "cpus-refactoring"

just in case you are interested in a peek.

The idea results currently in:

 cpu-throttle.c                |  154 +++++++++
 cpu-timers.c                  |  784
 cpus-tcg.c                    |  515 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 cpus.c                        | 1405
+++++----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New interfaces are in:

include/sysemu/cpu-throttle.h |   50 +++
include/sysemu/cpu-timers.h   |   73 +++++
include/sysemu/cpus.h         |   44 ++-

cpu-throttle (new) is self-explanatory, contains the cpu-throttle in cpus.c
cpu-timers (new) contains the icount, ticks, clock timers from cpus.c

cpus.h adds an interface to per-accel vcpu threads:

qemu_register_start_vcpu(void (*f)(CPUState *cpu));
bool all_cpu_threads_idle(void);
bool cpu_can_run(CPUState *cpu);
void qemu_wait_io_event_common(CPUState *cpu);
void qemu_wait_io_event(CPUState *cpu);
void cpu_thread_signal_created(CPUState *cpu);
void cpu_thread_signal_destroyed(CPUState *cpu);
void cpu_handle_guest_debug(CPUState *cpu);

Very much still all WIP...

Ciao,