qemu-devel

Re:Re: Is qemu could be a "FSM" state machine if running on a "quiet and

From: tugouxp
Subject: Re:Re: Is qemu could be a "FSM" state machine if running on a "quiet and clean" host pc without random event input?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 08:56:45 +0800 (CST)

Thank you, much appreciate your thought and meaningful for me!

At 2020-05-14 07:22:12, "John Snow" <address@hidden> wrote: > > >On 5/11/20 10:07 AM, tugouxp wrote: >> Hi folks: >>   i want to know about whether therr are limitations during qemu >> emulation systems, for exampe, did the regular bugs corener case cant be >> duplicated on qeme but exist on real boads? >> > >It's possible, yes. QEMU emulates instead of simulates. We do not try to >reproduce accurate cycle timings. There may be bugs that exist in real >hardware but don't reproduce with QEMU, or, of course, the other way around. > >> why thing this is that , i have ever use hdl simulator (modsim and >> iverilog) and openrisc processor to emulate the linux and ucos running, >> and see the waveform of the simulateion process of the operations systems. >> i found an interesting things, if i take just the tick interrupt as the >> only testbech event source,the  kernel simulation waveform is identical >> duplicated again and again, which means i can predicate future behavior. >> > >Yeah, we are not operating on the verilog level for any of the hardware >we emulate. > >> i think this something like qemu work principle and so want to know, >> whether the qemu has this limitation? is the simulation proces a "FSM"  >> that with definition output if the input event are all regular and >> without random? >> > >Well, if you only want determinism and not accuracy, it might be >possible, but I have to admit to you that I've never tried to instrument >or measure this. I assume there are many places where cycle >indeterminancy comes in from the host system. > >And I trust x86 about as far as I can throw it. > >I assume there are many barriers to this, but maybe folks who worked on >the replay debugger could give some more authoritative idea. > > >> thank you >>