qemu-devel

Re: Configuring onboard devices

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Configuring onboard devices
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:20:05 +0200

Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> writes:

> On 30/04/2020 15:11, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>
>> Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Is it possible to let machine owners add alias properties to the machine
>>> object
>>> referencing in-built devices? I could then instantiate my on-board nic in
>>> the machine
>>> init() function, and then use object_property_add_alias() to add a "nic0"
>>> alias on
>>> the machine that can be used to wire it up to a netdev using the command
>>> line.
>>
>> Have a look at hw/arm/virt.c's virt_flash_create(), from commit
>> e0561e60f1 "hw/arm/virt: Support firmware configuration with -blockdev".
>> It adds machine properties "pflash0" and "pflash1" as aliases for the
>> onboard flash memory devices' property "drive".
>>
>> Does this answer your question?
>
> Ah I see now, these aliases are for individual properties rather than
> objects. What I
> was trying to ask was if it were possible to have something like this:
>
> /machine (SS-5-machine)
>   /builtin
>     /nic0 -> link to "lance" device
>
> Here nic0 is an alias "published" by the maintainer of the SS-5 machine which
> is
> configured in the machine init() function using object_property_add_link() or
> suitable wrapper. Users can then configure these builtin devices from the
> command
> line using your -machine nic0.netdev=my-netdev-id syntax or similar.

Got it now, thanks!

> Having the default devices under /builtin or other known QOM path would enable
> builtin devices to be easily enumerated programatically and/or from the
> command line
> as required.

There are three standard containers under /machine/:

* /machine/peripheral/

  Devices with a user-specified ID go here, as /machine/peripheral/ID.
  User-specified means -device or device_add.

  /machine/peripheral/ID is effectively a stable interface.  It's just
  underdocumented (undocumented?).

  To be useful, the stuff below ID/ needed to be stable and documented,
  too.

* /machine/peripheral-anon/

  Same, but user elected not to give an ID.
  /machine/peripheral-anon/device[N], where N counts up from zero in
  creation order.

  N is obviously not stable, but this is a problem of the user's making.
  If you want to refer to a device, give it an ID.

* /machine/unattached/

  The orphanage.  When a device has no parent when its realized, it gets
  put here, as /machine/unattached/device[N], where N counts up from
  zero in realization order.

  N is obviously not stable, and this time we can't blame the
  victim^Wuser.  You can search for devices of a certain type.
  Sometimes that's good enough.

  All the onboard devices are here, and much more.  We've fathered a lot
  of unloved red-headed children, it seems...

  Some of the "much more" is due to sloppy modelling, i.e. neglecting to
  set the proper parent.

  I figure we could put onboard devices in a nicer place, with nicer
  names.  Need a convention for the place and the names, then make board
  code conform to it.