qemu-devel

Re: backing chain & block status & filters

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: backing chain & block status & filters
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:15:35 +0300

28.04.2020 22:44, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
28.04.2020 19:46, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
28.04.2020 19:18, Eric Blake wrote:
On 4/28/20 10:13 AM, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:

Hm.  I could imagine that there are formats that have non-zero holes
(e.g. 0xff or just garbage).  It would be a bit wrong for them to return
ZERO or DATA then.

But OTOH we don’t care about such cases, do we?  We need to know whether
ranges are zero, data, or unallocated.  If they aren’t zero, we only
care about whether reading from it will return data from this layer or not.

So I suppose that anything that doesn’t support backing files (or
filtered children) should always return ZERO and/or DATA.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that everything should be
BDRV_BLOCK_ALLOCATED at the lowest layer. It's not what it means today
at least. If we want to change this, we will have to check all callers
of bdrv_is_allocated() and friends who might use this to find holes in
the file.

Yes. Because they are doing incorrect (or at least undocumented and unreliable)
thing.

Here's some previous mails discussing the same question about what block_status
should actually mean.  At the time, I was so scared of the prospect of
something breaking if I changed things that I ended up keeping status quo, so
here we are revisiting the topic several years later, still asking the same
questions.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-12/msg00069.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-02/msg03757.html

Basically, the way bdrv_is_allocated() works today is that we assume an
implicit zeroed backing layer even for block drivers that don't support
backing files.

But read doesn't work so: it will read data from the bottom layer, not from
this implicit zeroed backing layer. And it is inconsistent. On read data
comes exactly from this layer, not from its implicit backing. So it should
return BDRV_BLOCK_ALLOCATED, accordingly to its definition..

Or, we should at least document current behavior:

   BDRV_BLOCK_ALLOCATED: the content of the block is determined by this
   layer rather than any backing, set by block. Attention: it may not be set
   for drivers without backing support, still data is of course read from
   this layer. Note, that for such drivers BDRV_BLOCK_ALLOCATED may mean
   allocation on fs level, which occupies real space on disk.. So, for such
drivers

   ZERO | ALLOCATED means that, read as zero, data may be allocated on fs, or
   (most probably) not,
   don't look at ALLOCATED flag, as it is added by generic layer for another
logic,
   not related to fs-allocation.

   0 means that, most probably, data doesn't occupy space on fs, zero-status is
   unknown (most probably non-zero)

That may be right in describing the current situation, but again, needs a GOOD
audit of what we are actually using it for, and whether it is what we really
WANT to be using it for.  If we're going to audit/refactor the code, we might
as well get semantics that are actually useful, rather than painfully contorted
to documentation that happens to match our current contorted code.

Honest enough:) I'll try to make a table.

I don't think that reporting fs-allocation status is a bad thing. But I'm sure
that it should be separated from backing-chain-allocated concept.

As a first step, I've don brief analysis of .bdrv_co_block_status of drivers
(attached)

As a second step, here is brief analysis of all block_status usage

--
Best regards,
Vladimir