qemu-devel

Re: Replace GSource with AioContext for chardev

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Replace GSource with AioContext for chardev
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:27:53 +0100

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 09:25:58AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 03:16:01PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> Converting all chardevs to Aio might be challenging, and doesn't bring
> >> much benefits imho.
> >>
> >> Perhaps a better approach would be to rely on a new chardev API to
> >> steal the chardev underlying fd or QIO... (mostly keeping -chardev for
> >> CLI/QMP compatibility reason - although breaking some chardev features
> >> that imho aren't compatible with all use cases, like replay, muxing,
> >> swapping etc). The chardev should probably be removed after that...
> >
> > Yeah, I feel like it was a mistake for us to wire up many of our features
> > to chardevs. We mostly did it because -chardev provides a pre-existing
> > syntax for TCP/UNIX sockets and we didn't want to invent new CLI args.
> > IMHO this was a mistake in retrospect.
> >
> > Unfortunately the -chardev API is absolutely terrible for any usage that
> > actually cares about the connection based semantics. Witness the horrible
> > hacks we do for re-connect and re-try when failing to initially connect
> > in vhost-user net code.
> >
> > For features in QEMU where the only desirable chardev backend is one with
> > connection based, socket semantics, I think we would be better off using
> > the QIOChannel APIs directly and completely avoiding the chardev code.
>
> How do we get from here to there?

Ignoring back compat, what would be our ideal CLI syntax ?

Current syntax is

  -chardev socket,id=charnet1,path=/tmp/vhost1.sock
  -netdev vhost-user,chardev=charnet1,id=hostnet1

Should we have an option that expresses a "SocketAddress" struct on the
CLI ?

   -socket type=unix,path=/tmp/vhost1.sock,id=sock0
   -netdev vhost-user,socket=sock0,id=hostnet1

IIUC, Marc-André is suggesting that we carry on using -chardev, but
detect when it is a socket chardev, and then ignore chardev APIs and
create a QIOChannel.  I can see some appeal in this as it provides a
way to get all existing usage switched over, but I feel uneasy about
sticking with -chardev forever, if we're not actually using a chardev.

We could do the magic -chardev -> -socket conversion though, for a
short period of time to ease the transition.

We would have to

 1. Introduce the new -socket and add "socket=$id" to devices that need it
 2. Deprecate -chardev with type != socket, with no repacement intended
 3. Deprecate -chardev with type == socket, translating to -socket
 ...wait 2 releases...
 4. Delete support for "chardev=$id" from devices with "socket=$id"

The hardest part is probably deciding exactly which set of devices can
be restricted to only sockets, and which must have the full range of
chardev backends available.

Regards,
Daniel