qemu-devel

Re: qcow2: Zero-initialization of external data files

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: qcow2: Zero-initialization of external data files
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 08:47:38 -0500

On 4/9/20 8:42 AM, Eric Blake wrote:

I'd argue that requiring the user to pre-zero the raw data file is
undesirable; and that we should instead fix our code to not report the
image as reading all zeroes when creating with data_file_raw=on.

OK.  I think that could be achieved by just enforcing @preallocation to
be at least “metadata” whenever @data-file-raw is set.  Would that make
sense?

Is a preallocation of metadata sufficient to report things correctly? If so, it seems like a reasonable compromise to me.  I was more envisioning a fix elsewhere: if we are reporting block status of what looks like an unallocated cluster, but data-file-raw is set, we change our answer to instead report it as allocated with unknown contents.  But with preallocation, you either force the qcow2 file to list no cluster as unallocated (which matches the fact that the raw image really is fully allocated) while not touching the raw image, or you can go one step further and request full preallocation to wipe the raw image to 0 in the process.

What happens when an operation attempts to unmap things? Do we reject all unmap operations when data-file-raw is set (thus leaving a cluster marked as allocated at all times, if we can first guarantee that preallocation set things up that way)?

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226