qemu-devel

Re: Function-like macro with the same name as a typedef confuses Coccine

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Function-like macro with the same name as a typedef confuses Coccinelle
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 14:29:58 +0200

On 4/2/20 2:06 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
I discovered that Vladimir's auto-propagated-errp.cocci leaves
hw/arm/armsse.c unchanged, even though it clearly should change it.
Running spatch with --debug prints (among lots of other things)

     let's go
     parse error
      = error in hw/arm/armsse.c; set verbose_parsing for more info
     badcount: 7
     bad: }
     bad:
     bad: static void nsccfg_handler(void *opaque, int n, int level)
     bad: {
     BAD:!!!!!     ARMSSE *s = ARMSSE(opaque);
     bad:
     bad:     s->nsccfg = level;
     bad: }
     parse error

Alright, what's wrong with this?  ARMSSE is both a function-like macro
and a typedef:

     #define ARMSSE(obj) OBJECT_CHECK(ARMSSE, (obj), TYPE_ARMSSE)

     typedef struct ARMSSE {
     } ARMSSE;

This appears to spook Coccinelle badly enough to skip code using ARMSSE.

If I rename the macro to ARMSSE_() just for testing, it produces the
transformation I'd expect.

Grepping for typedef names is bothersome, so I used ctags -x to build a
cross reference table, and searched that for function-like macros
clashing with typedefs.  Result:

include/hw/arm/armsse.h:#define ARMSSE(obj) OBJECT_CHECK(ARMSSE, (obj),
TYPE_ARMSSE)
include/hw/arm/armsse.h:} ARMSSE;
include/hw/block/swim.h:#define SWIM(obj) OBJECT_CHECK(SWIM, (obj), TYPE_SWIM)
include/hw/block/swim.h:} SWIM;
target/rx/cpu-qom.h:#define RXCPU(obj) \
target/rx/cpu.h:typedef struct RXCPU RXCPU;
target/s390x/translate.c:#define BD(N, BB, BD) { BB,  4, 0, FLD_C_b##N,
FLD_O_b##N }, \
hw/audio/ac97.c:} BD;

The last one is a name clash in unrelated files; should not bother
Coccinelle.

The first three are due to QOM.  By convention, the name of the
function-like macro to convert to the QOM type is the QOM type in
ALL_CAPS.  Clash when the QOM type is ALL_CAPS already.

To add to this list, another problem I'm having is with QOM interfaces.

For example this line:

  isa_bus_dma(bus, ISADMA(isa1), ISADMA(isa2));

The definitions are:

#define ISADMA(obj) INTERFACE_CHECK(IsaDma, (obj), TYPE_ISADMA)
typedef struct IsaDma IsaDma;

This is used as opaque pointer, so it compiles fine, but coccinelle is confused because the actual 'struct IsaDma' is never defined.

The only 'documentation' I found about this is commit 00ed3da9b5 which describes this as 'common practice'.

Clearly, Coccinelle is getting spooked to easily.  Regardless, three
questions:

1. Are ALL_CAPS typedef names a good idea?  We shout macros to tell
readers "beware, possibly magic".  Shouting other stuff as well
undermines that.

2. The compiler is quite cool with us using the same name for a
function-like macro and a not-function-like non-macro.  But is it a good
idea?

3. Do we want to work around Coccinelle's parsing flaw?  Having it skip
so much code is clearly suboptimal, and potentially dangerous.  The
obvious work-around is to rename the three problematic types so they
contain at least one lower-case letter.