qemu-devel

Re: Questionable aspects of QEMU Error's design

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: Questionable aspects of QEMU Error's design
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 09:11:03 +0300

02.04.2020 8:54, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 10:03, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:

QEMU's Error was patterned after GLib's GError.  Differences include:

 From my POV the major problem with Error as we have it today
is that it makes the simple process of writing code like
device realize functions horrifically boilerplate heavy;
for instance this is from hw/arm/armsse.c:

         object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(&s->cpu_container[i]),
                                  "memory", &err);
         if (err) {
             error_propagate(errp, err);
             return;
         }
         object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(s), "idau", &err);
         if (err) {
             error_propagate(errp, err);
             return;
         }
         object_property_set_bool(cpuobj, true, "realized", &err);
         if (err) {
             error_propagate(errp, err);
             return;
         }

16 lines of code just to set 2 properties on an object
and realize it. It's a lot of boilerplate and as
a result we frequently get it wrong or take shortcuts
(eg forgetting the error-handling entirely, calling
error_propagate just once for a whole sequence of
calls, taking the lazy approach and using err_abort
or err_fatal when we ought really to be propagating
an error, etc). I haven't looked at 'auto propagation'
yet, hopefully it will help?

With that, you can have

         object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(&s->cpu_container[i]),
                                  "memory", errp);
         if (*errp) {
             return;
         }
         object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(s), "idau", errp);
         if (*errp) {
             return;
         }
         object_property_set_bool(cpuobj, true, "realized", errp);
         if (*errp) {
             return;
         }

but you have to add

         ERRP_AUTO_PROPAGATE();

right at the beginning of the function.

It's a small improvement.  A bigger one is

         if (object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(&s->cpu_container[i]),
                                      "memory", errp)) {
             return;

return false; you mean, assuming we converting the caller too...

         }
         if (object_property_set_link(cpuobj, OBJECT(s), "idau", errp)) {
             return;
         }
         if (object_property_set_bool(cpuobj, true, "realized", errp)) {
             return;
         }

Hmm..

Somehow, in general, especially with long function names and long parameter
lists I prefer

ret = func(..);
if (ret < 0) {
    return ret;
}

notation to moving the entire function call into if condition.. Extra level of
parentheses complicates the view of the code.

But, yes, may be for boolean functions it looks a bit strange:

ok = func(..);
if (!ok) {
    return false;
}

This is item "Return value conventions" in the message you replied to.

Elsewhere in this thread, I discussed the difficulties of automating the
conversion to this style.  I think I know how to automate converting the
calls to use the bool return value, but converting the functions to
return it looks hard.  We could do that manually for a modest set of
frequently used functions.  object.h would top my list.

Are you sure that adding a lot of boolean functions is a good idea? I somehow
feel better with more usual int functions with -errno on failure.

Bool is a good return value for functions which are boolean by nature: checks,
is something correspond to some criteria. But for reporting an error I'd prefer
-errno.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir