qemu-devel

Re: deprecation of in-tree builds

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: deprecation of in-tree builds
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 17:44:57 +0200

Am 31.03.2020 um 17:20 hat BALATON Zoltan geschrieben:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, Eric Blake wrote:
> > On 3/31/20 7:02 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > > Am 31.03.2020 um 09:48 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:

> > > Mainly because it allows me to start everything (most importantly: my
> > > editor, git and make) from the same directory.
> > >
> > > I guess the automatic directory creation is the less important part
> > > compared to a Makefile in the source tree that calls the Makefile in the
> > > build directory, because creation the directory is a one-time thing, but
> > > I call make all the time.
> >
> > If we make in-tree ./configure create a GNUmakefile shim that
> > auto-forwards to build/, it would also be possible to create symlinks to
> > the various targets that will live in build.  I recently switched my
> > qemu playground to use VPATH builds, but with symlinks such as qemu-img
> > -> build/qemu-img, I can still use my muscle memory of an in-tree build
> > for normal development.

I like this idea. We could even make the emulator binaries available on
the top level then.

> > > Creating it automatically is nice especially for those who build QEMU
> > > for the first time and expect that the ./configure; make; make install
> > > sequence they are used to just works.
> > >
> > > Prefixing build/ when using the binaries is a change, too, but I guess
> > > tab completion means that it's not much worse than prefixing ./
> >
> > With symlinks, it is possible to give much more than 'make' the illusion
> > of working in-tree.  It then boils down to a question of how many
> > symlinks are worth creating.
>
> Also creating symlinks, while nice, is probably added maintainance
> burden because it's something that only needs to be done in in-tree
> runs so it will likely get broken by those using only out of tree.

To me this sounds like something that will be created once and then
never touched again except maybe for adding new binaries. If some binary
is missing, this is easily fixed by those who use pseudo-in-tree builds.

Kevin