qemu-devel

Re: [QUESTION] Getting configure options for a given QEMU executable?

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] Getting configure options for a given QEMU executable?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:44:44 +0100

On 3/20/20 11:03 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 07:11:03AM +0100, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
Hi,

Given a QEMU executable, is there a way to find out the configure options
it was built with?

No, you need to get the original build logs.

The binary should contain the full build version (ie the QEMU version
and the distro specific package release).

On Fedora we build with the "annobin" plugin, which records some info
about GCC options in the binary, but that's still quite distinct from
any configure args.

(context: we frequently get bugs involving QEMU built for a particular
Linux distribution, and knowledge about its configure options would
certainly be helpful while reproducing and debugging)

It should be fairly easy to add an array with the definitions filled by ./configure:

- config-host.h
- TARGET-softmmu/config-target.h
- TARGET-softmmu/config-devices.h

For Fedora the logs are all publically available at a predictable URL e.g.

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/qemu/$VERSION/$RPM-RELEASE/data/logs/$ARCH/build.log

so

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/qemu/4.0.0/5.fc31/data/logs/x86_64/build.log

Not sure where other distros might store this info. If people have info
for more distros, perhaps we could create a wiki page making a list of
where each distro keeps its biuld logs ?

Regards,
Daniel