qemu-devel

Re: Any interest in dwc-otg (aka dwc2) device emulation? For Raspi 3 and

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Any interest in dwc-otg (aka dwc2) device emulation? For Raspi 3 and below.
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 17:46:15 -0400

On 3/10/20 3:00 PM, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I used to work for Synopsys, who is the vendor for the usb-otg IP, and
> am the author of the dwc2 driver in the Linux kernel (actually just a
> port of the vendor driver to Linux). So I am pretty familiar with the
> hardware. But I had to give up all the documentation when I left
> Synopsys. So, beyond what I could find on the web (register
> description and programming model), I don't have any further
> documentation.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

That's awesome!

We don't always have specs for everything, but as many (public and
legal) references as you can spell out in your git commit messages, the
better, for the sake of maintainers who might need to audit changes in
the future (and don't have your expertise.)

Correlating things against the kernel driver will probably be plenty
good enough, I'd hope -- if the driver winds up having a bug against
real hardware we'd hope to see it in the wild, so it should be safe to
reference against.

(This is a bit of the snake eating its own tail but sometimes we just
don't have better.)

I wasn't aware you were the author of the kernel driver too. Now I'm
convinced it'd be a shame if you didn't at least post a v1!

--js