qemu-devel

Re: Mapping between Host virtual address and guest physical address

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: Mapping between Host virtual address and guest physical address
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:31:34 +0000

* Muhui Jiang (address@hidden) wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I am recently using qemu-system-arm to boot a linux uImage.
>
> I would like to do some dynamic instrumentation on the uncompressed kernel.
> It seems that I need to focus on two key points.
>
> Firstly, I need to know when the kernel is uncompressed, which means the
> compression process is finished. By analyzing the vmlinux.elf  and the
> trace I can figure it out.
>
> Secondly, I need to know where the uncompressed is, which means where the
> uncompressed linux kernel (Before translated into tcg) stores in the
> virtual address of qemu. Does anyone have ideas? Many Thanks

There's are some existing HMP monitor commands for this type of
debugging:

gpa2hpa addr -- print the host physical address corresponding to a guest
physical address
gpa2hva addr -- print the host virtual address corresponding to a guest
physical address
gva2gpa addr -- print the guest physical address corresponding to a guest
virtual address

so I think you're saying you want gpa2hva

Dave