qemu-devel

Re: VW ELF loader

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: VW ELF loader
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:18:54 +1100

On 04/02/2020 10:26, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Il mar 4 feb 2020, 00:20 Alexey Kardashevskiy <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> ha scritto:
>

>     Speaking seriously, what would I put into the guest?
>

> Only things that would be considered drivers. Ignore the partitions
> issue for now so that you can just pass the device tree services to QEMU
> with hypercalls.
>
>     Netboot's dhcp/tftp/ip/ipv6 client? It is going to be another SLOF,
>     smaller but adhoc with only a couple of people knowing it.
>

> You can generalize and reuse the s390 code. All you have to write is the
> PCI scan and virtio-pci setup.

Among with the device tree syncing, these are the things I really want
to get rid of, especially drivers as today they do not support IOMMU so
I will also have to implement that as well.

I guess I could write a small firmware which would read MBR/GPT, find
PReP, load GRUB elf and jump into it (although this seems unnecessary
complicated for the task and definitely duplicates the code) but having
drivers in what is defined as a driverless environment is just weird imho.

However I am struggling with hooking network from CI to the network
backend, not as easy as blockdev, need another temporary netclient :)

--
Alexey