qemu-devel

Re: [GSoC/Outreachy QEMU proposal] Extend support for ioctls in QEMU lin

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [GSoC/Outreachy QEMU proposal] Extend support for ioctls in QEMU linux-user mode
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 18:51:37 +0100

15:38 Uto, 28.01.2020. Peter Maydell <address@hidden> је написао/ла:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 15:33, Aleksandar Markovic
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > PART III:
> >
> >   a) Develop unit tests for selected ioctls that are already supported in QEMU.
>
> These should probably just be part of the external Linux Test Project
> test suite.

I like the idea! This would free the student from reinventing the wheel (ioctl test framework) - most probably resulting in more work done during the project.

I am just not sure how this stands with GSoC/Outreachy rules. The project would touch two open source project. Stefan?

> Incidentally a related topic would be to look at recent
> new syscalls added to the kernel and see which ones we
> could/should add support for. But maybe you're interested
> in ioctls specifically.

I am personally interested in both. However, learning about syscalls and implementation of support for them in QEMU would require more ramp-up time from student (as is the case for any new employee in a similar situation for that matter). In the worst case, the student would spend much more time on learning than on productive work. My impression is at it is better to leave the student focused on just one area - ioctl support.

Thanks, Peter, for comments and ideas!

Aleksandar