qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 23:38:49 +0100

Il lun 27 gen 2020, 21:11 John Snow <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> ./qemu-core <<EOF
{
    "machine": "Q35",
    "memory": "2GiB",
    "accel": "kvm"
}
EOF

And now you have to keep all the syntactic sugar that is in vl.c. I don't think a redesign of -readconfig should accept anything less verbose than

- machine:
    type: q35
    ram:
       type: memory-backend-hostmem
       size: 2G
- accel:
  - type: kvm

And this is not even taking into account disks.

I like the idea of refactoring all the syntactic sugar into a pre-pass on command line options. This is not an entirely new idea, see https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg35024.html.

I am afraid that this thread is derailing a bit, with lots of pipe dreams and no actionable items. How do we get it back in track?

Paolo

No file required, cooperates with readline, avoids crunchy,
hard-to-maintain CLI syntax. Directly and easily translatable to a
stored-file configuration. All configuration and documentation is
centralized via QAPI.

A little worse to type manually, yes. Maybe not bad /enough/ for me to
want to rescue the CLI which prevents full QAPI-fication and a working
configuration file.

Arguably, a well documented configuration schema will be much easier to
browse, discover, and use than a labyrinthine CLI with many stub
definitions whose options are not exposed in the documentation.

(The argument here is: It's a little harder and a little longer to type,
but the benefits from the schema organization may improve productivity
of using QEMU directly instead of harming it.)

--js