qemu-devel

Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Making QEMU easier for management tools and applications
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:55:50 +0100

On 24/12/19 14:41, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> I'm wondering if we need to think about a temporary *throwaway* fork of
> QEMU. I wasn't involved in the work, but as an outside observer I think
> it is interesting to see how the NEMU project fork ultimately led to QEMU
> moving forward with a new KConfig approach, and the integration of microvm.
> They had the freedom to develop these new approaches with zero regard
> to back compat or broader QEMU needs that might otherwise hold back dev.

Just a quick note: none of these were developed first in NEMU.  KConfig
was completed *for* NEMU (to make their lives easier) but the code
already existed, and microvm is inspired by Firecracker.  NEMU's main
merit in my opinion was to make QEMU's perception issues clearer, and to
cause more thought on those issues and how to approach it.

That said, I agree that a throwaway experiment on command line and
configuration is worthwhile.  The main thing to think about is to make
convenience options syntactic sugar for something else.  For example, a
couple ideas mentioned in the thread or elsewhere in hallway discussions:

- Make default devices expressible as QemuOpts, so that -writeconfig
able to write out the default devices as well and -readconfig would
imply -nodefaults.

- Reduce the scope of -drive by dropping if=none in favor of -blockdev.
 Leave -drive as a quick way of configuring frontend and backend.

- And somewhat unrelated to configuration files: generate bindings for
QMP clients from the schema.

In the meanwhile, we should deprecate -readconfig/-writeconfig.  Can't
go wrong with that.

Paolo