qemu-devel

Re: Proposal for handling .hx files with Sphinx

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Proposal for handling .hx files with Sphinx
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:20:22 -0500

On 1/17/20 12:30 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> Currently our manual creation includes some .texi files which
> are autogenerated from .hx files by running scripts/hxtool.
> .hx files are a simple format, where where a line is either a
> directive or literal text to be output:
>
> HXCOMM
>  -- comment lines, ignored
> STEXI/ETEXI
>  -- mark start/end of chunks of text to put into the texinfo output only
> DEFHEADING/ARCHHEADING
>  -- appear in the .h file output verbatim (they are defined as C macros);
>     for texi output they are parsed to add in header sections
>
> For Sphinx, rather than creating a file to include, the most
> natural way to handle this is to have a small custom Sphinx
> extension which will read the .hx file and process it. So
> instead of "makefile produces foo.texi from foo.hx, qemu-doc.texi
> says '@include foo.texi'", we have "qemu-doc.rst says
> 'hxtool-doc:: foo.hx', the Sphinx extension for hxtool has
> code that runs to handle that Sphinx directive, it reads the .hx
> file and emits the appropriate documentation contents". (This is
> pretty much the same way the kerneldoc extension works right now.
> It also has the advantage that it should work for third-party
> services like readthedocs that expect to build the docs directly
> with sphinx rather than by invoking our makefiles.)
>
> We'll need to update what the markup is to handle having rST
> fragments in it. A very minimalist approach to this would
> simply define a new pair of SRST/ERST directives marking the
> start/end of chunks of rST text to go into the rST only.
> (We might be able to do better than that later, as there's
> some repetition currently going on. But we'll probably get
> a better idea of how easy it is to avoid the repetition if
> we start with a simple conversion.)
>
> Here's what we do with hx files at the moment. We have four:
>
>  hmp-commands.hx
>    -- defines monitor commands used by monitor.c; generates
>       qemu-monitor.texi, used by qemu-doc.texi
>  hmp-commands-info.hx
>    -- ditto, for the "info" command's subcommand;
>       generates qemu-monitor-info.texi, used by qemu-doc.texi
>
> These two use only the "put this in the texi or in the .h file"
> functionality, alternating "raw C code defining an entry for the
> monitor command array" with "lump of raw texi for the docs".
>
>  qemu-img-cmds.hx
>    -- defines options for qemu-img, used by qemu-img.texi
>
> This uses the STEXI/ETEXI directives to alternate C and texi.
> In the for-the-h-file section the only content is always a DEF()
> macro invocation defining the option; in the texi is only the
> synopsis of the command. This means there's a lot of repetition,
> as the DEF macro includes an argument giving the text of the
> option synopsis, and then the texi also has that synopsis with
> some extra markup. Finally the main qemu-img.texi repeats the
> marked-up synopsis later on when it has the actual main documentation
> of each command.

> [...]

At one point I did a quick mockup of turning qemu-img-cmds.hx into json
and wrote a small tool I called "pxtool" that was used for generating
all the rest of the subsequent information -- an attempt at getting rid
of .hx files *entirely*.

The idea at heart was: "Can we remove .hx files and describe everything
in terms of the QAPI schema instead?"

I'm still a bit partial to that idea, but realize there are some nasty
complexities when it comes to describing the QEMU CLI as a schema. One
of those is that I doubt we even have a full understanding of what the
CLI syntax is at all.

Still, I do want to ask: Are we sure we want to double-down on keeping
the .hx files around instead of trying to move to a more generic data
format?